Post by shaxper on Dec 30, 2021 2:10:35 GMT -5
2022 Classic Comics New Year's Resolutions
Thanks as always to Icctrombone for starting this tradition!
It's that time once again, folks! If you did any 2021 New Years Resolutions, let us know how they turned out and then make some new ones for the new year here!
- Assuming things with Covid aren't going to get much better in the next twelve months, my enthusiasm for acquiring is pretty much non-existent. The thrill of the hunt just isn't the same online. So I make no buying goals for 2022 (which is not to say that I won't decide I absolutely need a key issue or run a week from now because, let's be honest, I will).
I made close to 10K in selling key issues I didn't truly need to keep anymore in 2021. While most of the "best" stuff I'm willing to part with is gone, I'd still like to supplement my income by bringing in at least $5,000 more this year.
Reading Goals I'm serious about working towards
- Make regular time for non-comic book reading during hectic weeks (at least an hour a week). Last year I wanted to read two novels and didn't even come close, so I'm going to be less end result-oriented and more focused on time management going forward. I finally have my wish of having a full house and loving partner, and that places demands upon my time that I never had before. I have to do a better job of working self care into that equation. As part of that, I need more reading time in my life.
- Spend at least a half hour reading something with Amber each week (comics, novels, whatever); Again, more time management is needed in my life. We love reading together and have so many books and comic runs we want to get through; we just don't find the time.
- Read The Great Darkness Saga
- Work towards finishing my Avengers run (#231-300, plus annuals remaining)
- re-read at least one classic run in my collection. What's the point of saving back issues if you only read them once? There is so much good stuff that I want to savor again.
Reading Goals I want to get to before I die (maybe this year. Who knows?)
- Byrne's Fantastic Four
- Defenders #1-60
- Ditko's Spider-Man
- Astro City
- Sandman Mystery Theatre
- New Mutants all the way up to #100 (I think I got thru the first 25 issues on a previous reading attempt over two decades ago)
- Get caught up with The Cerebus Reading Society
Essential Reviewing Goals
Again, I'm taking a very different approach this year. Rather than committing a certain number of reviews to each of my review threads, I'm pledging to write a minimum of 5 reviews per month in whichever threads compel me at the time. That's a total of sixty reviews in 2022, which is a stretch, but I believe I can make it happen so long as Owen's health doesn't take a turn for the worse again.
And I can allocate those sixty reviews in whatever way I feel. For example, I could:
- Do two years' worth of Justice League reviews, two months' worth of Superman in the Post-Crisis Era reviews, and then have both threads caught up with The Complete Batman: 1979-2011 so that I can maintain all three threads together in real-time going forward. That would take about 30 reviews to pull off.
- Do another full year of Superman in the Post-Crisis Era reviews, taking us all the way to his death in January of 1993. That would take nearly all sixty reviews to achieve.
- Finish The Batman Family and Beyond: 1955-1978. It's difficult to determine how many reviews this would take, but it would certainly be less than sixty.
- Take New Teen Titans and Beyond all the way to The Judas Contract. This would take about 25 reviews.
- Finally devote some serious time to The Complete Batman: 1955-1979 along with Hoosier X, who has been waiting on me most patiently!
- Put some serious time into The Complete Batman: 1979-2011 for the first time in years.
- Finish Atari Force, which would only take ten more reviews.
- Put a serious dent in Nick Fury in the Silver Age
- Start a whole other review thread that I don't have the time for. I keep toying with doing Hal Jordan in the Silver Age.
Ultimately, I'll probably make a good dent in two or three of these goals and then do 2-3 updates in most other threads to make sure they don't languish. Who knows? The fun will be in finding out. My only promise is to do at least five reviews per month.
1. Spend an hour a week reading novels
2. Spend a half hour each week reading with Amber
3. Write five reviews each month
4. Sell $5,000 in key issues.
and a few other specifics.
And that's it. I'm actually really excited to work towards these goals this year. For once, these resolutions won't just give me the extra push I need to get a few more books read and reviews written; they'll help me to find new balance in my life!